FIA to reveal findings of February Abu Dhabi restart investigation RaceFans


The FIA ​​will present the findings of the investigation into the final laps of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to the F1 Commission in February, the governing body has announced.

In a statement posted on social media on Thursday, the FIA ​​confirmed that an investigation was underway into Race Control’s handling of the final restart of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, in which only the five cars between Lewis Hamilton and his title rival Max Verstappen – and none of the others – was allowed to pass the safety car before the final lap restarted.

The FIA ​​has also confirmed that it will present the findings of its report to the F1 Commission – which represents F1 teams and stakeholders within the organization – before finally announcing their “final decisions” to the World Racing Council. motorsport in Bahrain on Friday March 18, the day of the first practice for the opening of the Bahrain Grand Prix of the 2022 season.

“Following the decision of the World Motor Sport Council in Paris on December 15, 2021, the administration of the FIA, under the direction of Mohammed Ben Sulayem, has begun the detailed analysis of the events of the last Formula 1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi,” the statement said. bed. “The FIA ​​President has launched a consultation with all F1 teams on various topics, including this one.

“The outcome of the detailed analysis will be presented to the F1 Commission in February and the final decisions will be announced at the World Motor Sport Council in Bahrain on March 18.”

The FIA ​​has also confirmed that motorsport general secretary Peter Bayer has also been appointed single-seater director – a role previously held by F1 race director Michael Masi. FIA President Mohammed Ben Suyalem asked Bayer “for proposals to review and optimize the organization of the FIA ​​F1 structure for the 2022 season”.

The investigation into the controversial arrival of the championship-deciding Abu Dhabi Grand Prix was originally launched under the leadership of former FIA President Jean Todt in the final days of his last term. at this post.

Following the investigation, the use of the safety car will be discussed as an item on the agenda of the Sporting Advisory Committee meeting on 19 January. Following this, the FIA ​​said there would be a “shared discussion with all F1 drivers”.

The announcement comes almost a month after the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix where the championship was decided after a controversy over the use of the safety car, prompting protests from the Mercedes team. After their protests were overruled by the stewards, Mercedes ultimately chose not to take the case to the FIA ​​International Court of Appeal.

Hamilton, who lost the Drivers’ World Championship to rival Verstappen after leading the vast majority of the Abu Dhabi race, made no public comment on the race after speaking in parc fermé immediately after the checkered flag.

Announcement | Become a RaceFans supporter and go ad-free

2022 F1 Season

Browse all articles from the F1 2022 season

Previous Junkyard Find: 1988 Cadillac Fleetwood d'Elegance
Next Online Payday Loans: Top List Of Online Payday Lenders For Fast Cash & Same Day Loans| Get Quick Bad Credit Loans & Personal Loans For Bad Credit From Best 4 Online Lenders In 2022